What Are Variable Message Signs & Why Are They Crucial For Safety?
Variable Message Signs (VMS) are a crucial tool for providing efficient communication and real-time information which is essential for maintaining safety on busy sites and roads. These electronic displays play a vital role in providing the general public with information that could improve safety and warn them of potential delays. In this blog post, we’ll explore the ins and outs of Variable Message Signs and understand their significance in shaping a smarter, safer, and more dynamic transportation system.
Understanding Variable Message Signs
Variable Message Signs (VMS) are designed to improve safety by displaying potential hazards and traffic disruptions ahead. With a series of LED or dot-matrix panels, these signs are capable of creating clear information and imagery which can be controlled from a remote or smart phone. Although the main purpose of VMS is to ensure road and construction area safety, the larger VMS 400 series is also well-suited for multiple advertising applications due to its larger size, which can easily capture the attention of the general public.
Key Features and Functionality
Variable Message Signs come equipped with several features to efficiently communicate essential information:
- Versatility: VMS can display both text-based messages and graphical symbols, making them adaptable to various communication needs. Messages can be changed remotely, allowing information to be updated for various situations.
- Visibility: These signs use high-intensity LEDs, ensuring excellent visibility during day and night. Moreover, they are designed with legible fonts and colour contrasts to ensure that messages are easy to read even at high speeds.
- Controller: the all in one controller located inside the display board is easy to use and allows for information or display to be changed at any time.
- Solar power: Each of the MacGen VMS series come fitted with three 150W solar panels which tilt in the direction of sunlight to charge the batteries all day.
- Manoeuvrability: Trailer system allows the VMS series to be transported from site to site with ease.
Benefits of Variable Message Signs
The widespread use of Variable Message Signs offers numerous benefits to road users and transportation authorities:
- Enhanced Safety: By providing real-time updates on potential hazards and road conditions, VMS helps drivers make safer decisions, reducing the likelihood of accidents.
- Improved Traffic Flow: VMS assists in managing traffic flow efficiently, optimising travel times, and reducing congestion, which contributes to smoother journeys for commuters.
- Flexibility and Adaptability: The ability to change messages remotely allows transportation authorities to respond promptly to changing situations and keep drivers informed throughout their journeys.
- Cost-Effectiveness: While initial installation costs might be significant, VMS proves to be a cost-effective solution in the long run by minimising delays and improving safety.
In conclusion, Variable Message Signs have become indispensable tools in modern transportation systems. By providing real-time information to motorists, VMS ensures safer journeys, minimises delays, and enhances overall road network efficiency.